When the calendar rolls into a new year, most of us set a few goals. You know, some things we’d like to accomplish in the coming weeks, months and year. For the majority of us, eating better is somewhere on that list. Whether it’s because you want to lose a few pounds, or just be a healthier version of your awesome self…I get it. We’ve made a conscious effort in our house to eat healthier and cook our meals at home as often as possible. So, that means - planning delicious, healthy meals!If you’ve been sticking to a pretty healthy diet so far in 2018, you might be at that point right now where you want to sink your teeth into a giant plate of nachos! Or pizza! Or a big, cheesy, goey philly cheesesteak sandwich, am I right? Well, I’m right there with you. BUT…I have a healthier version of that cheesesteak sandwich that should satisfy those cravings, and not only is it healthier…but it’s DELICIOUS!
They’re called ‘Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers’ and they’re super simple to make! A very quick and healthy weeknight meal. We added them into our dinner rotation a couple years ago when I threw them together one night with some leftover steak we had in the fridge and turns out…we LOVED them!
What’s awesome about these peppers is, you can do SO many things with them. You can add in more ingredients like mushrooms or corn, or you can switch out the steak and use ground chicken instead. Whatever your family likes. You can even use different kinds of cheese. We use marble cheese, but I think they would be AMAZING with swiss cheese! (I LOVE swiss but sadly, I’m the only one in the house that does.)
So, give this recipe a whirl, and see what you think! I hope you and your family enjoy them as much as we do!
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 2 or 3 large bell peppers – red, orange or yellow.
- 1 medium or large size steak – sliced
- One small/medium onion, or ½ of a big onion - sliced
- 1 cup of shredded cheese – marble, mozzarella – whatever you like. Or sliced Swiss!
- A splash of oil
- Montreal Steak Spice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut peppers in half, clean out the inside and place face up in a baking dish
- Sprinkle the bottom of each pepper with cheese
- In a frying pan, cook the sliced onions and steak in a bit of oil until onions are soft
- Fill each pepper with the steak and onion mixture
- Sprinkle more cheese on top of each pepper
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes
- We use Montreal Steak Spice on the steak, but you don’t have to. Use any spice you like, or none at all!
- We like to use sweet peppers, but this recipe would work just fine with green as well.
- Tastes great with salad or rice on the side!