When my daughter was diagnosed with a tree nut allergy 3 years ago, it changed the way I looked at food forever. I always thought of myself as health-conscious, especially when it came to my kids, but now I was constantly scouring the ingredients list of everything that came into my home! We had to be very vigilant which meant that buying baked goods from bakeries and grocery stores became impossible as most could not guarantee that their products had not come into contacts with any nuts. While nut-free products and bakeries are becoming more popular and accessible, I wanted to provide healthy, nut-free snacks for my daughter that I could make at home and that tasted GOOD! And so these nut-free, no-bake energy bites were born!
These energy bites literally take 10 minutes to mix up and are ready to eat in about 40 minutes tops. They are also low in refined sugar and full of fibre! The oats and shredded coconut give them a nice crunch and the cocoa adds just the right amount of chocolaty flavour that kids love! I whip up a batch to bring as energy on the go for park visits or long road trips (they should be kept cool, refrigerated is best) and they are the perfect back-to-school snack!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can substitute any type of ‘butter’. As we cannot use peanut butter or almond butter, seed butter was a great alternative and I opted for pumpkin seed butter. They roast the pumpkin seeds so it gives the energy bites a smoky flavour and pumpkin seeds are high in iron and fibre. Plus the coconut oil contains the ‘good’ cholesterol and is easy to digest and absorb, making these a much healthier alternative to sugar-laden cookies and granola bars. Try this super simple back-to-school snack today!
Nut-free, No-bake Energy Bites Recipe
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
YIELD: About 12-16 bites
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seed butter (or almond butter or sunflower seed butter, etc.)
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 2 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- In a large glass bowl, microwave coconut oil, honey and almond butter together for about 1 minute or until melted
- Add rolled oats, cocoa powder and shredded coconut to the melted mixture, mixing well to combine ingredients
- Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes to let it set, then remove from fridge and form into balls, about ½ and inch wide. Keep refrigerated and enjoy!