My kids are big on helping in the kitchen. I'm always coming up with fun cooking activities for us to create together. Since it's winter, we've been warming up with lots and lots of cups of hot chocolate. We love trying different hot chocolate recipes so we decided to mix it up and try our hand at homemade marshmallows. They loved creating their own marshmallows and we all decided that they are better than store bought. Here's how you can create your own fluffy marshmallows at home with your kids.
2 packages of Knox gelatin powder (0.25oz packages)
2 cups sugar
1 cup cold water, divided
2.5 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
powdered sugar for dusting
If you have younger children, you might want to prep this part without them since it involves using the stove. Older kids will enjoy helping from start to finish.
- In a mixing bowl, pour in your gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water. Mix gelatin and let sit for a few minutes to set.
- Cover a large shallow pan with plastic wrap (overlapping on the sides) and spray with nonstick spray. I used a jelly roll pan.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar and other 1/2 cup of cold water, stirring until dissolved. Add in the gelatin mixture and heat through until boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add in the vanilla and salt.
- Pour your mixture into a stand mixer and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. Then mix on high speed for about another 5 minutes until it's the consistency of marshmallow fluff.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and smooth out until even. (Tip: I used my hand sprayed with non-stick spray to smooth it out.) Lastly, cover with plastic wrap sprayed with nonstick spray and let sit overnight.
- Once the marshmallows are ready, remove the plastic wrap. You can use a knife to cut into squares or use mini cookie cutters to create shapes out of your marshmallows. Little ones love helping with this part!
- As you're cutting your marshmallows, toss them in a bowl of powered sugar to coat them so they aren't too sticky.
Store in an air tight container to keep them fresh.
Enjoy your homemade marshmallows in a big mug of hot chocolate!