They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I admit, at times I don’t eat breakfast myself, despite the mounting research that shows how it is crucial for good health. We all know that a healthy breakfast fuels you up and gets you ready for the day. According to KidsHealth.org, “in general, kids and teens who eat breakfast have more energy, do better in school and eat healthier throughout the day”. I know from personal experience that without breakfast, people can get irritable, restless and super tired.
And it also depends on what you eat – sugary cereals, fatty meats and processed carbs can often make you feel bloated, tired and sluggish. Eggs are an excellent and inexpensive source of high and good quality protein. According to the BBC Good Food Guide, “both the white and yolk of an egg are rich in nutrients - proteins, vitamins and minerals with the yolk also containing cholesterol, fat soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids”. Eggs are an excellent part of a balanced breakfast and these breakfast sandwiches literally take 5 minutes to make.
Cooking the egg in the microwave saves time and best of all, you don’t need butter. I literally cook my eggs straight in a small glass bowl (small ramekins would work great too). You could spray some non-stick cooking spray in the bottom, but I find using a fork to gently lift out the eggs leaves minimal residue. What takes up the most time is waiting for your bread to toast!
You can get super creative with these 5 minute breakfast sandwiches by adding various fresh veggies directly to the egg, topping with different cheeses and seasonings and more! My kids like cheddar cheese or feta, but I prefer Italian parmesan with spinach. More of a carnivore? Add some sizzling bacon or a round breakfast sausage for even more protein. Paired with fresh fruit, these are the perfect solution for those crazy back-to-school mornings in September.
Forget the drive through! Try this easy breezy recipe as a great back-to-school breakfast idea — for you and your kids!
Easy Breezy Breakfast Sandwiches
PREP TIME: 1 minute
TOTAL TIME: 5 minutes
- 1 large egg (free range, organic is the best)
- Bread – English muffins, toast, etc.
- Toppings of your choice – cheese, salt and pepper, fresh spinach, bacon, etc.
- In a small glass bowl or ramekin, crack your egg and whisk or leave as is.
- Microwave the egg for 25 seconds on high then add your cheese and/or vegetables. Microwave for another 25 seconds on high (varies with each microwave). Don’t forget to toast your bread!
- Use a fork and slide it around the cooked egg, loosening it from the glass bowl/ramekin. Remove and place on desired toast
- Top with additional veggies, garnishes, spices, meat, etc. and ENJOY!