I’m no gourmet chef. I’ll be the first to admit that. But every once in awhile I make a meal that my hubby raves about for a couple of days. This Chicken Enchilada recipe is one of those meals. It’s by far one of his favourite meals in our rotation. If you were to ask him, he would likely say we don’t make them enough. He’s probably right.
I’ve been making these Chicken Enchiladas for YEARS for my husband and I, so a few months ago I figured I should take a chance and introduce them to the kids to see what they think. They love tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos and everything else Mexican related, so I was hoping they would like these too. If I’m being honest, I could probably eat nachos almost every night if it were up to me, but these enchiladas are a close second!
Now, as parents, most of us are all about making meals that are easy, healthy and get two thumbs up from not only the adults in the house…but from the kids too! This delicious meal covers all of the above in our house!
They’re super easy to whip up for a weeknight meal, they’re healthiest if you use ground chicken instead of ground beef (we actually prefer the chicken version over the beef) and to my delight…all thumbs were up in our house! The boys LOVED these Chicken Enchiladas. They both finished their entire plate and one of them asked for more. Even our 7-year-old, who complains about pretty much every meal except Kraft Dinner and hot dogs, gave his enchilada two BIG thumbs up! I consider that a win all its own.
So, start stocking up on ground chicken when it goes on sale at the grocery store, because if your house is anything like mine…this meal is going to be a frequent request!
Chicken Enchilada Recipe – Makes 6 Enchiladas
- 2 packages of ground chicken
- 1 ½ cups of salsa
- 1 cup of shredded cheese – we use marble, but mild, medium or old will work too!
- ½ cup taco seasoning (If you buy in packets, use two)
- 6 tortillas
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In frying pan, fry ground chicken until fully cooked, drain grease.
- Add taco seasoning, salsa and half of the shredded cheese. Mix well.
- Brush each tortilla with olive oil on both sides, microwave all 6 for 30 seconds.
- Fill each tortilla with the ground chicken mixture, roll up and place in baking dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese on top of each.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream or guacamole if desired and…enjoy!
- You can use ground beef instead of ground chicken if you prefer.
- Gluten Free wraps work well with this recipe too.
- You can also add onions or peppers to the mixture.
- They taste great heated up the next day!