Everybody is going crazy for quinoa! A complete protein and fantastic wheat-free alternative, the popularity of quinoa has increased drastically over the past few years and this super grain isn’t going anywhere. Grown in South America (Peru, Chile and Bolivia) for thousands of years, quinoa formed the staple diet of the Incas and their descendants.
The UN actually named 2013 ‘International Quinoa Year’ in recognition of the crop’s high nutrient content. According to the BBC Good Food website, quinoa has “twice the protein content of rice or barley, (and) is also a very good source of calcium, magnesium and manganese”. Quinoa also possesses good levels of several B vitamins, vitamin E and dietary fibre.
My Spinach and Feta Quinoa Cake recipe is relatively easy to assemble and they freeze great! They are basically a quinoa burger and can be eaten on a bun or plain. We enjoy them both warm and cold and my daughters love dipping them in tzatziki. They are the perfect energy-packed snack on the go!
Spinach and Feta Quinoa Cakes Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes (makes about 20 patties)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup of pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dry dill, finely chopped
- A few pinches of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups of chopped frozen spinach, slightly defrosted
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa, eggs, garlic, dill, lemon, salt/pepper, feta cheese, bread crumbs, chopped black olives and mix well the chopped spinach
- Allow the mixture to stand for a few minutes, enabling the bread crumbs to absorb the lemon and eggs
- Heat some olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan
- Form quinoa cakes or patties about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Place the patties in skillet, in batches if necessary
- Cook the patties until they’re browned on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes per side and then flip
- Serve warm with a squeeze of lemon and dip in tzatziki, a flavoured mayo or plain Greek yogurt. ENJOY!