Mamma Mia! Everyone is still going crazy for kale. It looks like this leafy green isn’t going anywhere! Chock full of fibre, I am always trying to incorporate the super food into my family’s diet. According to Medical News Today, eating kale is beneficial for maintaining healthy skin, hair and strong bones, as well as helping with digestion and lowering the risk for heart disease.
I don’t know about your household, but meatballs are a staple at ours! I make them with lean ground beef, minced chicken, turkey, etc. My kids gobble them up, no questions asked! With my Quick Kale Meatball recipe, adding kale to the meat ups the nutrient content and adds vitamin B6, calcium, folate, vitamin E, vitamin B2, iron, magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids. My mighty meatballs pack a healthier punch to any kale-free alternative!
I start with a basic meatball recipe and jazz it up with chopped kale and some savoury Italian cheese and spices. Fresh or frozen kale works (I have tried both – sometimes you just don’t have the time and frozen is faster!). When I was commuting to/from my downtown Toronto job, I needed to get in the door and get dinner on the table in a jiffy. Having the ingredients pre-made and pre-mixed really cut down on my prep time, enabling me to make these meatballs in a snap. You can also freeze the meatballs for a quick future dinner!
My Quick Kale Meatballs are a favourite of both of my daughters. Adding milk makes them super moist and melt-in-your-mouth yummy. Even my super picky English husband will eat them! Topped with organic tomato sauce and fresh Romano lupa grated cheese and paired with pasta and veggies, this recipe will be a welcome addition to your family menu. You can substitute the lean ground beef for lean ground chicken or ground turkey, too.
Let’s eat – andiamo a mangiare!
Quick Kale Meatball Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Makes about 13 – 15 meatballs
- 1 lb organic lean or extra-lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and cheese (pre-mixed)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh, chopped kale
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Mix ground beef, egg, Italian breadcrumbs, kale and cheese and milk in a large bowl with a fork. I use food handling gloves and knead the mixture well
- Shape mixture into 1-1/2-inch balls
- Place the meatballs on a lightly greased or aluminum foil-lined baking tray/dish
- Bake (uncovered) in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven, about 15-20 minutes. Cut one open to make sure they are cooked inside (I like a touch of pink). I finish my meatballs off with 1 minute under the broiler to brown them
- Drain off any excess fat. Add sauce, cheese and serve. BRAVO! 🙂
Author: Jill Campbell
A mother and lover of all things practical, Jill is a 30-something, former educator, world traveler and self-proclaimed pragmatist trying to navigate this journey called life. She currently works as a freelance writer, part-time teacher/tutor and full-time mom to two fabulous daughters. Her blog www.pragmamamma.net features simple and family-friendly recipes, original photography and hot parenting topics. Jill loves getting creative in the kitchen, reading, spending time with her family and snapping photos around her neighbourhood in Burlington, Ontario.