Karma Bryan-Ingle is the Brand/Communications Manager for Mabel’s Labels. When she’s not extolling the virtues of all things labels, she can be found trying to cuddle her 6 year old like crazy! Thanks for this guest blog post, Karma!
As an allergy mama, I occasionally have the pleasure of forgetting that my child could die at any time if we are not vigilant. Hallowe’en is not one of those times. Two months before my son had his third birthday, my sweet baby almost (*gulp*) died.
We were out for dinner one night and had to wait a few minutes for a table. To keep him occupied, my hubs took Evan into the bar – you know, one of those sports bars with peanuts all over the place. We knew that Evan had some sensitivities but he had never had a peanut before – until that night. He popped one in his mouth, spat it out immediately but still got a rash and became irritable within minutes. My hubs dashed home for some Benadryl, but during that time my friend and I made the executive decision that a hospital visit was in order. Evan spent his time in the car either completely freaking out or being lethargic and dazed.
The folks in the ER took us immediately and within minutes there were five doctors and nurses working on my son. They explained that Evan had 20 more minutes of life in him. I was a mere 20 minutes away from losing my baby. We now carry an EpiPen everywhere we go – knowing that it will buy us the 20 minutes we need to get to the hospital.
What does being an allergy mama mean to me? It means that everyday events can be horrifying. Simple celebrations like birthday parties can be a source of stress. Parents always mean well but they don’t know what can trigger a reaction – they do not live with this daily. And the scariest day is around the corner.
While everyone else is trembling over Hallowe’en ghosts, ghouls and zombies, I’m freaking out about the neighbours who hand out chocolate bars with peanuts in them. I love those chocolates as much as the next mama, but hasn’t the awareness of allergies raised to a level that everyone is handing out nut free treats? Serving my child peanut treats is like putting pins in his apples or poison in his candy.
I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Hallowe’en – and I think we can accomplish that without anyone having to use EpiPens or visit the hospital.
Giveaway Alert! Want to win a set of Allergy Alert Labels? Leave a comment on this post and one person will be chosen at random to receive a set of Allergy Alert Labels. ($18.50 value) Entries will be accepted until October 19th at noon EST. Good luck!