When we were kids lunches were just peanut butter and jam slapped on bread, a juice box and that was that. Now things are more complicated and you’re probably already sick to death of making your child’s school lunches. With allergies and litter free restrictions and your own kids’ preferences lunches can’t be just a sandwich anymore. Here are a few brown bag lunch ideas to spruce up the old ho hum ordeal.
Think outside of the bread box. Here are some lunch options that forgo the bread and some school approved fillings:
- Romaine, Swiss chard, steamed kale leaves or Boston lettuce as wraps
- Rice paper wraps (they make great day old salad holders)
- Grilled Portobello mushrooms stuffed with filling of your choice
- Apple slices stacked with cheddar cheese
- Use skewers to layer fruits
- Baby pita used for dipping; layer bean burrito fillings: refried beans, cheese, salsa…in mini containers.
- Hollowed out cucumber stuffed with tuna
- Celery filled with cream cheese
- Red pepper halves hold everything nicely
Jazz up fillings by turning them into salad toppers. Try:
- Tuna, olives, grapes chopped celery
- Cooked potatoes, chick peas, curry powder and yogurt
- Salmon, dill, chopped kale, honey mustard
- Feta cheese, chopped peppers steamed Brussels sprouts, oregano
- Frozen spinach, blue cheese, mayo, dried thyme, chopped garlic
Slap this list on the fridge and take a look at it whenever you want to avoid the brownbag burnout.
Here is a healthy recipe for a delicious sandwich that all can enjoy!
Baby Kale Caesar Salad Sandwiches
This mixture is equally good cold or grilled. If you want to take it for lunch, keep the salad filling separate until you are ready to enjoy and pre-scoop the buns. Keep insides and break up onto a cookie sheet, toast in oven and then blend into breadcrumbs. (If you want to go low carb or paleo, simply swap the bread for rice or lettuce wraps!)
Makes: 4 Takes:15 minutes
4 whole grain Kaisers or Rolls
2 boiled eggs
½ cup silken tofu
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp anchovy paste (optional)
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp grainy mustard
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove minced garlic
8 cups baby kale leaves or other hearty greens
Mash boiled eggs with tofu, parmesan, anchovy paste, lemon zest, juice, mustard, vinegar, oil and garlic. Mix well and toss with kale. Scoop out the centre of each roll. Stuff into bread bowls.
If you wish to have a hot sandwich, add a layer of shaved parmesan and grill on a Panini press or in a skillet, pressing to flatten.
About the Author
Theresa Albert is a Food Communications Specialist and Toronto Personal Nutritionist. She is @theresaalbert on twitter and found daily at www.myfriendinfood.com