My Son’s Camper Achievement Award

My 12 year-old son is in his element when he’s at camp. Running around, getting muddy, hiking, swimming, skipping stones and catching frogs with a bunch of kids is pretty much a dream come true for him.

He always comes home with stories about the adventures they’ve had and new camp songs he’s learned. His arms are covered with dozens of friendship bracelets. Apparently, the rule is that the bracelets have to fall off naturally, and you can’t TAKE them off no matter how dull and tattered the once brightly coloured bracelets become.

The first year he went to camp, he’d never been away from home for a two-week stretch before. His big sisters were there so I knew they’d help him out if he got homesick. I also knew that they’d probably keep an eye out for any of his lost belongings.

Last year, he went solo, which made labeling all the more important. We went with the Limited Edition Camp Combo clothing labels for kids and had him choose the icon. We played a game by laying out all his clothes into piles, labeling them and taking pictures (Okay, it was mostly a game for me!) Clothes and hats were labeled with Tag Mates (my favourite!) and Skinny Minis were on all his toiletries. The beach towels got labeled (Tag Mates on the care tags), flashlight and water bottle got Sticky Labels, running shoes got Shoe Labels and his duffle bag and guitar case got the metal Bag Tags.

At the end of each camp session, funny, personalized camp awards for kids are given to each camper to recognize one of his or her most well known achievements. When we picked Eric up at the bus stop last year, he came down the steps of the bus, beaming with pride as he displayed his special award. It was the “Most Items in the Lost and Found” award!

When we got home, I dug all the sandy clothes out of the duffle bag and threw them directly into the washing machine. Fresh from the dryer, we laid them all out and compared them to the “before camp” photo.  And you know what? Almost everything made it back home. I think we were missing one water shoe and a t-shirt.

Without Mabel’s Labels’ camp clothing labels, I doubt Eric would have been reunited with his stuff and he would have missed out on winning that cherished award. Pretty soon he’ll be heading back to camp on that bus, everything labeled, and totally prepared to defend his title!

Have you got your Limited Edition Camp Combo yet? Hurry! It’s available until June 30th!

About the Author:

Karen Pearson is one of the friendly voices you’ll hear on the other end of the phone when calling Customer Service at Mabel’s Labels. She enjoys writing about her family, which includes a husband, 3 kids and a rescue dog from Greece.

- See more at: http://blog.mabelslabels.com/index.php/2014/05/page/2/#sthash.Dz5uGm1E.dpuf

Related Posts with Thumbnails

23 Responses to “My Son’s Camper Achievement Award”

1. Jenny

I think that labels are the most important thing every kid needs for camp. I’ve sent my child to camp a few times and every time I either end up with more clothes that aren’t his or missing clothes.

2. Jenn Walker

Labels will be necessary for the Eco-Explorers camp this summer. From taking a school bus down there, from hiking to archery and the wardrobe changes, hats, lunches, towels… for daily swimming, so many opportunities for him to forget, misplace or leave behind items.

3. Michelle McCracken

Well, my son lost two things this school year. A dress shirt he had to use for drownproofing and a lunch box. The only thing that returned was the lunch box – the item that HAD a label on it. Enough said!

4. Sarah

As a summer camp director, I always recommend my campers and especially my staff label their things!!

5. Rebecca Park

My son Graeme has autism and will be going to camp on his own for the first time we go every summer for a week so I can be camp nurse but at 5 he is finally old enough to go on hs own too. We definitely need a camp pack of labels because he has no ability to keep track of his stuff and if you asked him if it was his he may or may not answer. We love our Mabel’s Labels here and would love to win some. It would be one less thing to worry about when sending him away on his own this summer.

6. Elizabeth

My son is just like every other guy out there… More interested in having fun than keeping track of his things! Some new labels would help keep track of his things…

7. Diane

My daughter I’ll be going to full day camps for the first time. Before she attended half day. There was barely enough time to loose things last year, but her clothes and sandals got put into someone else’s bag…..they were all labeled and came back to us. Is year has daily swimming, outdoors activities, and crafts.

8. Sara

Labels are #1 for my camp kids! So they can recognize their stuff and it makes it back home!

9. Rebecca Park

My kids dont have their own camp stories yet but i set my bunk on fire when i was a Leader in Training. I am lucky that nobody was injured. The nurse in me is horrified by it now.

10. Veronica S.

My little one is going to daycamp this summer and kindergarten in the fall. Time for labels, I guess!

11. Lisa

My kids go to camp 2 hours from home for a week at a time this summer. Mine are the kids who constantly say, “Ugh, I forgot such-n-such”. Fortunately we use Mabel’s Labels and have actually been called from camp to say something has been left behind! That being said, they are a year bigger now and we need to label their new stuff!

12. mongupp (@mongupp)

This will be the first year my kids are at overnight camp….labels would be excellent!

13. Jayne Drul

Never fails, daughter is missing something when she comes home from camp or school. Mabel’s Labels have saved missing items from water bottles to shoes! Would be great to have camp labels for this summers adventures!!!

14. LA Palamar

Kudos to a camp that creates a “Most Items Lost and Found” Award. Maybe that’s a normal thing, but it’s news to me. Love it!!

15. Google

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Many thanks, However I am experiencing issues with your RSS.
    I don’t understand why I am unable to join it. Is there anybody
    else getting identical RSS issues? Anyone who knows the solution can you
    kindly respond? Thanx!!