My teen years were complex. On the one hand, I was struggling with big emotions, navigating friendships and understanding my new and strange hormones. On the other hand, I had the pure unadulterated awesomeness of doc martens, overalls and 90210 to make me happy.
You just can’t beat being 13 in the early 90s. Here are a few gifts the 13 year old in me would still love to get for my birthday:
1. My So Called Life. Angela. Ricky Vasquez. Rayanne. And – oh sweet baby – Jordan Catalano. It does not get better than Jordan Catalano.
2. Lip Smackers in every soda flavor possible.
3. A velour bodysuit that snaps at the crotch. Because, of course you should snap your shirt at the crotch like a onesie as a teenage girl.
4. A choker necklace to complete the bodysuit look. The tighter and more goth-looking, the better.
5. Jagged Little Pill on CD. Because there was nothing better than belting out these words after an angsty break-up: “And every time you speak her name, does she know how you told me you'd hold me until you died? Till you died! But you're still alive!!!”
6. YM or Seventeen magazine. Featuring serious articles on heartthrobs like Eddie Furlong, please.
7. A trip to the salon to get ‘The Rachel’. She may have hated it, but by gosh, we loved it.
8. A sundress with a baby tee to go under it. Love.
9. GAP Perfume in Heaven, Dream or Grass. Who doesn’t want to smell like grass?
10. A Discman to play my Alanis CD. Preferably one with anti-skip technology.
11. This black Steve Madden shoe. It went with everything. Everything.
12. A boyfriend to give Drakkar Noir to. Mmmm… So sophisticated.
13. Butterfly hair clips. Also very sophisticated.
What would you add to the list?
Want to get more great content like this and keep up to date with Mabel’s Labels? Sign up for our newsletter!