Being an avid climber, I always had a hard time reconciling my love for sports and my love for interior design. Can they coexist peacefully in the home? Take one look at Houzz users’ photos, and you’ll find out that it can be done gracefully and with a sense of humor. If you are a fan of biking, climbing, surfing, bowling, tennis, snowshoeing, baseball, skateboarding, football or golf, get inspired by the photos below and display your sport with pride.
1. Incorporating a sports theme into your interior can be surprisingly practical. Living in an apartment often means that storage is limited. Suspending your bike from the ceiling or on a wall not only keeps it up and out of the way, but turns the bike itself into a work of art.
2. Tired of climbing the stairs? Give your forearms a workout alternative instead with a climbing wall. As a climber, I am already considering how to incorporate such a neat idea in my own house. A soft landing pad underneath would be a wise investment too.
3. Surfboards are fantastic works of art. Hang yours on the wall for quick storage and automatic wall adornment.
4. If you’re a bowler, incorporating your sport into your interior could get challenging given the weight of the balls. Go for something that involves the pins instead, like this gigantic graphic bowling pin.
5. Tennis is another favorite sport of mine, so I was thrilled to see this neat racquet display. You can apply the same methodology to make it easy to just grab a racquet on your way out the door.
6. Snowshoes have great proportions and materials, and look even better hung up on a wall. Give your interior a rustic and effortless look by hanging your useful equipment as an art installation.
7. Children’s rooms are a great setting for sports equipment decor. The casually leaning baseball bats in this photo show how easy it is to integrate them into a room’s decor.
8. Have a graphic skateboard to show off? Don’t hide it behind the doors. Instead, proudly display it for all of your guests to see as soon as they walk through the door. No need for fancy artwork here!
9. Football helmets can also provide plenty of material to work with. If your kid is an avid football fan, consider proudly displaying a collection of helmets on a shelf.
10. Another practical way of displaying your sports passions is to pile your golf clubs in a basket next to your entry door. (Bonus: This location is practical should you ever need them for self-defense.)
Tell us: How do you incorporate your favorite sport in your design? Have you found certain sports to be particularly convenient to be displayed?
Houzz is the leading platform for home remodeling and design, providing people with everything they need to improve their homes from start to finish. From decorating a room to building a custom home, Houzz connects millions of homeowners, home design enthusiasts and home improvement professionals across the country and around the world.